Friday, February 10, 2012

Stetson's Senior Pulls Hat Trick with SAAC



As A-Sun softball season opens today, Carolyn Boyd's Stetson Hatters open the 2012 season this weekend at Patricia Wilson Field with the Stetson Lead-Off Classic, a four-team event that will see the Hatters go up against South Dakota twice as well as single games against two-time defending MAAC champion Iona and Samford.

A versatile player, Boyd (Germantown, Tenn.) provides
veteran savvy that should be an asset to the 2012 Hatters. Boyd currently serves as the A-Sun NCAA National SAAC Representative, is the the chair of Stetson University's Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) and former A-Sun SAAC chairwoman. She has started 54 games at first base over the last two seasons, developing into an excellent fielder that made just two errors in 239 chances in 2011. Boyd has recently shown signs of blossoming on offense as well, raking four base hits against Rollins and homering against St. Petersburg College in the fall exhibition season.

A-Sun: Why do you work with SAAC?
CB: When I first joined SAAC I wasn't sure what it was, but I quickly learned. I truly believe in the purpose of SAAC. We are here to represent all student-athletes, and make sure the student-athlete voice is heard and protected throughout the NCAA. It has been—and continues to be— such a rewarding experience to know that I can play a role in that process.

A-Sun: What is SAAC's role on campus?
CB: SAAC's role is the same on every campus across the NCAA. We are here to enhance the total student-athlete experience by promoting opportunity, protecting student-athlete welfare and fostering a positive student-athlete image. This is most often done through community service projects, leadership seminars and discussions about student-athletes' feelings towards "hot topics" in the NCAA.

A-Sun: What is the most rewarding community service project you have done with SAAC?
CB: I've gotten the opportunity to work with the local Boys and Girls Club on a couple of occasions. SAAC works with a program called Kilometer Kids that promotes an active lifestyle for these children. My favorite experience was playing kickball at the Boys and Girls Club with the Stetson softball team. We got the opportunity to teach them how to compete with good sportsmanship. I really felt like we made a difference.

A-Sun: Why did you choose to attend Stetson?
CB: I like to think I made one of the best decisions of my life for all the wrong reasons. I transferred into Stetson—strictly for the softball program. Once I got involved at Stetson, I fell in love with the campus, the people, and the academics. I've had such a great experience as a student-athlete, and the reasons for that go far beyond softball.

A-Sun: What is a typical day for you as a Stetson Hatter?
CB: Like most student-athletes, my days require lots of time management. A typical weekday starts with a morning team lift and ends falling asleep while trying to get in some extra reading. I go from weights to class to meetings to class to practice—while stopping for lunch when I get a chance. After practice, I shower, eat dinner, and hit the books. I prefer to study at the library because I can never get anything done in my room. There are just too many things around that are more entertaining than homework!

A-Sun: How difficult was it for you to come back from your injury and what was it that got you through it?
CB: My injury occurred my freshman year at a different school, and my personal mindset is to live in the present and be thankful for all the opportunities I've had at Stetson.

A-Sun: How do you envision SAAC's role in the DeLand community in the future?
CB: The ideal goal would be for SAAC to be a group commonly known for giving back to the community. We've tried to work specifically with local organizations so we can see where all our hard work is going. I hope this will instill a passion with Stetson's SAAC to continue growing this relationship.Bold

A-Sun: What is your favorite thing to do in your spare time?
CB: I spend most of my time playing softball, doing homework, and working with SAAC. But my recent "escape" has been rock climbing. There's an indoor facility not too far away that my friends and I will go to when we get the chance. It's a fun, different type of workout where you leave with a huge sense of accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Atlantic Sun blog welcomes all comments, critiques and questions. We only delete those comments that are abusive, off-topic, use excessive foul language, or include ad hominem attacks. We pre-moderate comments on our blog posts.