Along with four women's tennis matches, three men's tennis matches and 10 softball games, the following other notable items are on tap for the A-Sun and its schools today. Be sure to follow all of the action on Twitter, Facebook and the A-Sun website (www.atlanticsun.org).
BASEBALL'S FIRST PITCH TODAY
Nine of the 10 A-Sun teams open the 2012 season at home today, with Jacksonville being the lone team on the road to start off the season. The Dolphins face No. 40 Southern Cal in a three-game set. ETSU opens its year at the brand-new Thomas Stadium with Eastern Kentucky in town.
Weekly Conference Baseball Notes
Full Game Schedule
Follow A-Sun Baseball
Follow the A-Sun on Twitter: #ASunBase
INDOOR TRACK AND FIELD CHAMPIONSHIP TODAY AND SATURDAY
Women's Championship Page
Men's Championship Page
Follow the championship on Twitter: #ASunITF
WOMEN After capturing six-straight Atlantic Sun Indoor Track & Field Championships, the Jacksonville Dolphins are looking to snag a seventh in Johnson City, Tenn., today and tomorrow at the A-Sun Indoor Track and Field Championship. The Dolphins are the only team in the six year history of the event to have won.
Last year, JU finished ahead of runner-up North Florida by 65 points. JU’s Charlene Charles will be vying for her third-straight championship Most Valuable Performer title, which would be the most in A-Sun history. She is currently tied with two others.
Kennesaw State and ETSU are looking to get a piece of the action this time around, the two finished third and fourth last year. The Owls finished as the runner-up in 2010, while the Lady Bucs best performance came in 2007 when they tied for second place.
The events will get underway at 8:30 a.m. from the ETSU/MSHA Athletic Center today with the women’s pentathlon and concludes Saturday afternoon with the men’s 4x400 meter relays, followed by the awards presentation at 4:30 p.m.
- Thirteen of the 17 women’s individual events feature former champions of the event.
- Going into the women’s championship, eight student-athletes recorded performances that rank better than the A-Sun Championship meet record. This means that there stands a strong chance for several all-time marks to fall during the two-day event. Two of those top performances of the 2012 season came from the 800-meter run, while one more come in the pentathlon.
- In total, three student-athletes will vie for their third individual event title of their careers; Jacksonville’s Stacey Young, 60m Hurdles; Jacksonville’s Joane Pierre, Mile Run and 800m Run; North Florida’s Christina King, Pole Vault. Only two women’s athletes have accomplished the feat (Natasha Harvey, Jacksonville; 60m Hurdles and Hillary Crook, Jacksonville; Shot Put)
ETSU and Kennesaw State have gone one-two for the last four Atlantic Sun Conference Indoor Track & Field Championships. In the history of the championships, ETSU holds a conference-leading four titles and Kennesaw holds the remaining two.
ETSU and Kennesaw State may have some competition this year from North Florida, who came in fifth last year, as the Ospreys return all four of their event winners from last year.
- Unlike the women, keep an eye out forward to a bunch of first-time champions on the men’s side as only six of 17 individual events feature past winners at the indoor championship.
- USC Upstate’s Gilbert Kemboi will try for his third-individual event title in the 5,000-meter run. If he is successful, Kemboi would become only the third student-athlete to become a three-time event winner.
- In total, five student-athletes will vie for their second-individual event title of their careers. (ETSU’s Desmond Pierce, 800m Run; North Florida’s Will Pearce, 3,000m Run; North Florida’s Cameron Dickerson, Mile Run; North Florida’s David Shepherd, Pole Vault; Kennesaw State’s Anjoun Armaly)
STETSON MEN FACE FGCU IN A-SUN FRIDAY NIGHT GAME OF THE WEEK
With its first conference postseason berth in hand, FGCU completes its 2011-12 home slate against in-state rival Stetson in the Atlantic Sun/CSS Friday Night Game of the Week at Alico Arena. The game will be televised live on Comcast Sports South and on ESPN3.com with Matt Stewart and Sonny Smith on the call.
LAST MEETING: FGCU 92, Stetson 85 – Feb. 11, 2012, in DeLand, Fla.
Follow A-Sun Men's Basketball on Twitter: #ASunMBB