Two teams stand on-top of the Atlantic Sun Women’s Basketball standings at 8-0, but on Saturday one of them will prevail as the lone unbeaten team in the A-Sun. The match-up between in state rivals FGCU and Stetson is one that is noted as key game around the country in women’s hoops. The Hatters travel to Alico Arena to tip-off against the Eagles at 7:05 PM on Saturday, January 26th. Both teams hold winning streaks that rank in the top-5 in the nation and the Eagles have won their last 26 conference games; one of the longest in the country.
The NCAA mentioned the match-up as being a game to turn your attention to in women’s hoops. ESPN has ranked the Eagles at No. 10 in the latest ESPN Mid-Major Rankings. FGCU has made the ranks in every edition of the 2012-13 CollegeInsider.com Women’s Basketball Mid-Major Top 25 poll and currently rank No. 12 in the poll. Stetson has received votes in the poll and is on the brink of cracking the top-25.
The match-up between the two can prove to be crucial later in the season heading into the A-Sun Championship, but even more so could be a preview of we may see in the finale of this year's championship. Who will come out on top? Here are some notes about the two squads:
Stetson (15-4; 8-0) at FGCU (15-5; 8-0) - ASun.TV - 7:05 PM• Three teams in the A-Sun are ranked in the top-20 nationally in current win streak with the Hatters at No. 3 (11 wins), the Eagles tied at No. 5 (9 wins) and the Bears tied at No. 19 (5 wins)
• The Hatters current win streak of 11 is the third longest streak in the country only behind Baylor (15) and Notre Dame (12)
• Both the Hatters and the Eagles are undefeated in conference play at 8-0
• FGCU has won its last 26 conference games; One of longest streak in the country behind Baylor (28)
• The Eagles are out-scoring their conference opponents by an average of 23.3 points, while the Hatters hold a scoring margin of 20.9 vs. conference opponents.
• FGCU leads the all-time series between the two squads with a 9-2 record and are 5-1 in the last two seasons, including their last meeting in the 2012 Atlantic Sun Championship.
• The two met in the finale of the 2012 A-Sun Championship where the Eagles won 67-39. Stetson defeated Jacksonville in the 2011 A-Sun Championship.
• The last time the two met during the A-Sun Championship, Stetson’s Victoria McGowan scored 17 points; the most of any player in the game
• The teams rank one and two in the A-Sun in field goal percentage with Stetson shooting .447 and FGCU shooting .416
• FGCU’s Sarah Hansen and Stetson’s Victoria McGowan both average 17.2 PPG; No. 2 and No. 3 in the league
• McGowan is No. 1 in the conference in three-point shots per game at 2.3, which ranks No. 4 in the country. FGCU’s Betsy Adams ranks No. 2 in the A-Sun with 2.1 three-pointers per game.
• FGCU ranks No. 3 in the country in three-point field goals per game with an average of nine per game. The Eagles broke a Division I NCAA record earlier this season vs. ETSU for the most three-point shots made in a single game with 22.