Congratulations to the 2012 CIT Champions! It has been a season of many highs and firsts for the Bears, so take a look below and check out many of the achievements of Mercer Men's Basketball in 2011-12.
|The Bear's Justin Cecil celebrates with the home crowd after a victory.|
9) Mercer's starting five ties Ohio State for the second-youngest starting five from the teams still playing in the NCAA, NIT, CIT, and CBI Tournaments (Ohio State, Kentucky, Louisville, Kansas, Utah State, Mercer, Washington State, Pittsburgh, Stanford and Minnesota). The Bears and Buckeyes each start a senior and four sophomores. Only Kentucky's starting five of three freshmen and two sophomores is younger.
8) Currently 12 games better than last season, Mercer clinched its fourth 20-win season in the past 33 seasons on Feb. 10. The Bears last reached the win plateau in the 2002-03 season with 23 victories en route to the program’s only A-Sun regular-season title. It also marks the seventh 20-win season in the 106-year history of the program.
7) With its win vs. Old Dominion, Mercer set a program record with 25 wins on the season. It is tied for the fourth-best win total in the A-Sun over the past 11 seasons. With the victory vs. Utah State on Wednesday, the Bears tie Belmont’s 2012 squad for the second-best win total over that span.
6) The Bears set a new A-Sun record for games played in a season with 38. Prior to the tip against Utah State, the Bears were tied with Arkansas-Little Rock, who advanced to the NIT Semifinals in 1987 before claiming fourth place in the consolation game.
5) Mercer’s five postseason games is tied for the most all-time in A-Sun history with UALR’s five games in 1987. Last season, ETSU squared off in three CIT games, which ranks third-best.
4) Mercer and Utah State were two of 12 teams still participating in postseason play last evening. Massachusetts joins the Bears and Aggies as the only teams outside of the BCS conferences to be playing.
3) In the last two CollegeInsider.com Tournaments, the Atlantic Sun Conference has posted a combined record of 9-3, which ties for the top mark in wins amongst the 22 conferences that have participated in the postseason event.
2) The A-Sun is now tied with the West Coast Conference (9-3) in total wins winning percentage over the past two CollegeInsider.com Tournaments. The A-Sun (9-3) ranks ahead of the MAAC (7-4), MAC (6-7), WAC (5-2) and Conference USA (5-4).
1) Mercer defeat of Utah State accounts for the Atlantic Sun Conference’s first postseason tournament title.
More on the game